Wireless Enabling for Students Devices at MAC
(Click here to view a printable version of this page - if you want to print the document out, see the 'Attachments' section at the bottom of the page and select 'Download'.)
This page outlines the procedure for joining the wireless network here at Mount Aspiring College.
Firstly, there are four parameters that have to be met before access to the wireless network here at MAC can be granted.
- You must be the owner of the device you wish to connect.
- Ensure the machine you want to use is wireless enabled and in working order.Look for a symbol or a button like the one shown as a graphic (it varies slightly from model to model but enabling wireless normally starts by pushing the button so that a coloured light shows).
It is require that you have your WiFi set to obtain an IP address and DNS settings automatically rather than be user defined.
You must have an accepted Anti-Virus (AV) programme installed, running, updated and with a current (non trial) license to run until December 2015. The programme must also be set to automatically scan and update at least weekly.
For Windows users a list of accepted software is at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/49500
Mac users also MUST have current and working AV. If you do not carry a programme and a license the college recommends the free software iAntiVirus.
If you do not have Anti-Virus installed, working and updated, you will not be given network access.
- The Windows machine operating system must be at least XP Service Pack 3 and the Macintosh laptop must be OS X.
Once you have all of the above collect the form 'Connection to the MAC Network' from the office and fill it out. It will ask you specific questions about your machine and you will be expected to know and understand a few fundamentals about your operating system and your anti virus package.
Once you have completed the form present it to the computer technician (in the server room between rooms 3 and 4) along with your laptop for a brief inspection.
1. You will need to login using your school username and password. When you see the "Sign in and Surf" box go for it!
If your browser allows it you can save your username and password.
2. To use Facebook (or any https site that is classified as "Social Networking" or "Streaming Video" you will need to download and install a security certificate. This has been tested and it works with lots of things including the Facebook App on your iPhone.
OSX and iOS users should right click the downloaded file and "open" or "install" it. You can email the file to yourself if you want.
Windows users should right click the file and choose "Install Certificate". When prompted for a location choose "place all certificates in the following store", click browse and choose "Trusted Root Certification Authorities".
You may need to wait a few minutes and restart your browser before you use Facebook.
Mount Aspiring College | Wanaka | New Zealand | © 2015